CARPATHIAN MOUNTAIN CAKE
For the 2 bases:
Baking powder-1 tsp
For the cream:
White flour-5 tbs
Corn starch-5 tbs
- Heat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Take a medium saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Mix flour, baking powder and salt together.When butter has melted, remove from heat and with a wooden spoon add the flour mixture there. Return to stove and stir over low heat for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Take from heat and beat in eggs one at a time. You can do it either by hand or with an electric mixer.
- Pour dough into lightly coated with cooking spray pans and smooth it out. Bake 25 minutes or until top is golden brown and dry. Remove from pan and let cool completely.
- Put one cup milk, flour, corn starch, egg yolks and vanilla in a bowl and mix until well combined. Take a medium saucepan, bring milk to a boil and add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Reduce heat add egg mixture and continue to cook and stir until thickened like pudding, at least 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Let it cool to room temperature, covered with plastic wrap not to form the crust.
- When the filling is completely cool beat in softened butter. Butter and cream should both be room temperature to get a smooth cream.
- Take one cake from the pan and line it with a parchment paper. Place it half back in the pan and pour the filling over, spreading evenly.
- Top with the other half of dough and put in the refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- When serving, dust heavily with icing sugar to look like snow on a mountain.