Warm water (95˚F) -1¼ cups
Active dry yeast -1 ¼-ounce packet
All-purpose flour-3½ cups
salt -2 tbsp
Extra virgin olive oil-¼ cup
Strained tomatoes-2 cups
Fresh basil leaves
Olive oil Salt
- Whisk the warm water, yeast, and sugar together in a small bowl. Put in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Do a well in the center of the dry ingredients and put the yeast mixture and olive oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until the dough comes together.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth about 5 minutes.
- Place the dough to a large bowl coated with olive oil. Cover with a towel and allow to rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours, until the dough has doubled in size.
- As soon as the dough has doubled in size, remove the towel and place the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide the dough into 6-8 pieces.
- Put the formed dough-balls on a baking sheet and rest, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Heat a large cast-iron pan over medium heat about 5 minutes.
- Try to carefully transfer the stretched pizza round onto the hot pan. Leave to cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly tanned with a few dark spots. Flip and continue to cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes longer, until the crust is dry.
- Take out the dough to rest on a wire rack and repeat with remaining dough.
- To finish the pizzas, top each crust with tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella.
- Take to the oven and broil for 7 or 8 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Add fresh basil on each pizza, a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt.